Re: Some links in online manual do not work

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Some links in online manual do not work
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 10:06:14 +0700

On 12/10/2022 00:06, Bastien Guerry wrote:
Max Nikulin writes:
More:

Fixed, thanks!

Unfortunately some redirection targets still respond with 301

301 https://orgmode.org/manual/Dates-and-Times.html
301 https://orgmode.org/manual/Deadlines-and-Scheduling.html
301 https://orgmode.org/manual/Emphasis-and-Monospace.html
301 https://orgmode.org/manual/Export-in-Foreign-Buffers.html
301 https://orgmode.org/manual/HTML-export-commands.html
301 https://orgmode.org/manual/Properties-and-Columns.html

If redirection directives were included as separate files then it would be possible to just check them by a command like

    awk '{ if ($NF >= 3) print $3; }' /tmp/manual.txt  |
        xargs --replace -- \
        curl --head --write-out '%{http_code} %{url_effective}\n' \
            --silent --show-error --output /dev/null \
            'https://orgmode.org/manual/{}'

and the same for the guide.

Original proposal to add redirections contained an s-expression with mappings. I would consider tracking it in the main Org repository. I believe, list of info nodes in the released manual should be added to it as known names. The idea is to make it easier to add redirections before new release. With such list as an input, a simple script could detect nodes absent in new release but existed in the earlier one. Another case is names appeared again making redirection rules obsolete.