Re: idea for capture anywhere in x

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: idea for capture anywhere in x
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2022 10:40:18 +0700

On 12/10/2022 08:09, Samuel Wales wrote:

the thread is about doing the same thing, or as much as possible of
it, more generally in x.

Samuel, I assume that you are quite happy with org-capture Firefox extension.

Have you managed to setup capturing text from other applications? From my point of view all necessary moving parts have been discussed in this or later threads. Have you assembled them to a working solution suitable for you?

- Window manager menu item and shortcut calling
  emacsclient --eval '(org-capture nil "c")'
- Capture template that fetches X PRIMARY_SELECTION or CLIPBOARD.
- Optionally try to get formatted text and convert it from HTML to Org using pandoc.
- Perhaps try to get window title of the active application.

What I have not tried yet is if drag&drop API may provide more details than X selection, but I am unsure if such workflow is suitable for you.

Probably it is better to discuss code in the context of particular applications. Despite you wish a general approach, amount of information exposed by applications may vary. Some code may depend on Emacs version an I am unsure which one you are using currently.