Re: Line breaks and brackets in LaTeX export

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Line breaks and brackets in LaTeX export
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 03:34:54 +0000

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> I've had a look at the thread. What do you think of that
> \NewTableCommand\empty{} workaround mentioned at
> https://github.com/lvjr/tabularray/discussions/321#discussioncomment-3920957?
>
> Since the \empty option only has problems in tabularray, maybe we could
> keep it, and put in the documentation some recommendations for
> tabularray users. I imagine they would have to add a @@latex:\empty@@
> before each row that follows a line. A bit laborious, I'm afraid.

I see the tabularray issue simply as an example that \empty is not as
reliable as we thought. There might be other LaTeX packages throwing
errors on \\\empty.

The proposed workaround may be enough for tabularray, but may not be for
other packages.

> Another possibility that occurs to me is that the string reserved for
> \empty, [0pt], etc., is a defcustom, with a value of \empty by default.
> So the user would choose what suits him best.

I do not think that users will clearly understand the purpose of such
defcustom. It is solving some very narrow edge case, and it is unclear
why we would need to advertise changing it in customize interface.

I'd prefer to keep it as defconst, but maybe mention in the docstring
that it can still be set to "\\empty" as another semi-safe value. At the
user's own risk.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,