Re: Org-mode syntax as a tool-independent MIME type (was: Shower thought

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Org-mode syntax as a tool-independent MIME type (was: Shower thought: submit an IETF RFC to register Org as a MIME type)
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2022 11:41:30 +0000

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> For reasons explained in my Orgdown-related articles[1] I would
> propose to use this chance to introduce a different term for the
> Org-mode lightweight markup language in contrast to the Org-mode
> Elisp implementation in order to push the syntax in a tool-agnostic
> way. We should not think only of GNU Emacs because there is a
> rising number of tools that do support text files in Org-mode
> syntax[2] which is also a huge advantage for users of GNU Emacs:
> collaboration, public awareness of the syntax, more tool support,

I do not like the idea of using Orgdown term for MIME type.
MIME type already imply syntax, not the implementation. I think that it
will be better to keep "Org" term for MIME type and avoid too much
confusion.

The Emacs-independent description of the syntax is being worked on in
https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html.

> I proposed the term Orgdown for the Org-mode syntax and also
> proposed various levels in order to provide sub-sets of Org-mode
> syntax[3] that are realistic to implement with finite effort. Using
> those OD-levels to come up with a formal definition (EBNF?) might
> play perfectly well with different parameters of the MIME type[4].

I do understand and accept your idea about simplified syntax
description. As we are going to need the syntax white-paper for MIME
type registration anyway, we may as well define your syntax levels in
that document. I envision a section in
https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html that will define subsets
syntax elements can be supported.

The first step now if finalizing
https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html. It would help if other Org
users read through the document and try to spot what is missing,
unclear, or inaccurate.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,