Re: Line breaks and brackets in LaTeX export

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Line breaks and brackets in LaTeX export
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 05:15:18 +0000

> Concerning element vs. exported text, consider a derived backend that
> ignores italics markers if a paragraph has some attribute. Usually
>       Paragraph \\
>       \emph{[something]}
> does not cause any problem, however if italics is ignored it is an error
>       Paragraph\\
>       [something]
> That is why namely exported code of adjacent leaf node should be
> examined. Ideally there should be a possibility to add some attributes
> or properties to distinguish raw export snippet.

This is a valid example.

> Unfortunately it requires complete redesign of org-export.

Thinking about it more, we may actually do post-processing of the
exported text. Unless I miss something, constructs like "\\[0pt]\n" can
_always_ be replaced with "\\\n" as long as the next line does not match
"^[ \t]*\\[". Even when such construct is deliberately placed by the
user. There will be no difference in the generated pdf.

Or, to be completely safe, we can introduce a defcustom that will
control such clean-up (clean up by default).

I propose the following:
1. Merge my patch with \\[0pt] safe page breaks
2. Modify org-latex-template to replace unnecessary occurrences of
   "\\[0pt]" in CONTENTS when org-latex-compact-latex (you may propose
   other defcustom names) is non-nil.

WDYT?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,