Re: Interest in an Org video meetup?

From: Leo Vivier
Subject: Re: Interest in an Org video meetup?
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 20:25:47 +0200

Hi all,

I’m super happy to see the interest in getting an org-mode usergroup off
the ground!  I’m even happier about the fact that we could help you
address the technical and logistical issues that have been raised in
this thread.

Since EmacsConf 2020, Sacha and I have been working with Emacs usergroup
organizers to provide them with the tools needed to publicize, host, and
record their sessions.  We have a page on the EmacsWiki which lists all
the usergroups we know of: https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Usergroups

For the recording problem at hand, we’d be able to offer you access to
a BigBlueButton (BBB) [0] instance running on a server we own (kindly
provided to us by Fosshost).  BBB provides server-side recording for all
audio and video feeds, and we’ve been using it to record and publish the
live Q&A with EmacsConf speakers without problems.

George Mauer <gmauer@gmail.com> writes:

> One thing I always mention when conversations about recording come up
> is that if you promote recordings as a resource, it is considered good
> form to have transcription available.

Captions are also something we could help you with!  Last year, for
EmacsConf 2021, we managed to get almost all the talks captioned before
broadcast thanks to our team of volunteers.  This year, we’ve improved
our process by introducing speech recognition via OpenAI Whisper [1],
and we’ve been pretty happy with the results. We’d be happy to help you
get set up for captioning too, especially if there’s a great talk you’d
like to extract and share.

Let me know what you're interested in and we’ll set you up with
everything. :)

Notes:
[0] BigBlueButton (BBB) is FLOSS Video conferencing suite.  For details,
    see: https://bigbluebutton.org/
[1] https://openai.com/blog/whisper/

Best,
--