Re: Dynamic block match fails on checkbox columns

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Dynamic block match fails on checkbox columns
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 10:40:21 +0000

"Daniel J. Sinder" <djsinder@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm trying to use a dynamic block with :match to filter columnview for a
> checkbox column.  However, the match is failing.   Based on some variations
> that do work (described below the example), it seems the closing square
> bracket may be the problem.
>
> Here's a minimal example:
> * Things
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :COLUMNS:  %20ITEM %CHKBOX{X/}
>   :ID:       Things
>   :CHKBOX_ALL: "[ ]" "[X]"
>   :END:
> *** One Thing
>     :PROPERTIES:
>     :CHKBOX:   [X]
>     :END:
> *** Another Thing
>     :PROPERTIES:
>     :CHKBOX:   [ ]
>     :END:
>
> * Dynamic Block
>   #+BEGIN: columnview :id Things :match "CHKBOX=\"[X]\""
>   | ITEM | CHKBOX |
>   |------+--------|
>   #+END:

Thanks for reporting!
It is kind of expected from the manual explanation about tag matchers:

   • If the comparison value is enclosed in double-quotes _and_ angular
     brackets (like ‘DEADLINE<​="<2008-12-24 18:30>"’), both values are
     assumed to be date/time specifications in the standard Org way...

However, the heuristics described in the manual is obvious wrong here.

I improved the match parser a bit to require a number inside brackets in
timestamps, but this whole syntax is overcomplicated and difficult to
understand.

In any case, your bug should be fixed now on main.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=e022a0cea11a0e784ba20ac478a033da7fb1bb7f

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,