Re: GPL violation related to Org by priprietary app (was: Best android a

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: GPL violation related to Org by priprietary app (was: Best android app)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 13:24:57 +0300

* Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> [2022-10-25 10:30]:
> > These words cheat the reader by telling that it is "compatible"
> > something, while it is not editor mode, it is probably whole editor
> > and software without Emacs.
>
> Are you saying that there is GPL violation of Org mode licence by this
> "EasyOrg" app?

I did not say that. Plagiarism is not always equal to license
violations.

> If it is true, could you please provide links to legal basis on from
> GPL's and Swedish law's points of view?

In my opinion the term "Org Mode" is collective trademark:

Trademark FAQs | USPTO:
https://www.uspto.gov/learning-and-resources/trademark-faqs#type-browse-faqs_1934
valid only for US jurisdiction.

Trademarks need not be registered, especially when it is clear who was
first using it, there is no doubt that Org Mode is term used to
promote software and software is commercial subject.

Those who started using first "Org Mode", like author or whoever is
assigned to it, are free to tell to the website, to stop using it, or
demand part of their profits in Sweden.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns