Re: desktop notifications (Re: idea for capture anywhere in x)

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: desktop notifications (Re: idea for capture anywhere in x)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2022 14:41:42 +0700

On 26/10/2022 13:22, Samuel Wales wrote:
i have the daemon and the binary but notify-send "summary" "text"
seems to do nothing obvious.  called from shell mode.  my emacs is
maximized.  so is firefox.

Does notify-send complain (with some delay) concerning timeout during attempt to connect to d-bus?

I have found an Eric's message recommending dunst as a notification daemon for fluxbox.

Firefox has a fallback implementation to display notifications in the case of d-bus failure, so it is not the best app to test their appearance.

Fluxbox released versions (e.g. from Debian and Ubuntu packages) has a bug that may cause some applications, in particular Firefox, to be displayed above other windows. So it may hide a notification window. However if you have a terminal application in front of you, it should not be your case.

I am unsure if functions from notifications.el are better than notify-send in respect to error reporting.

Have you considered playing a tune as a notification?