Re: bug#58774: 29.0.50; [WISH]: Let us make EWW browse WWW Org files cor

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: bug#58774: 29.0.50; [WISH]: Let us make EWW browse WWW Org files correctly
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 23:49:50 +0200

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> * Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> [2022-10-27 18:40]:
>> On 27/10/2022 11:55, Jean Louis wrote:
>> >
>> > Now is clear that main problem here is that Org advertises somewhere
>> > to be "text" in MIME context, while it is not, it is by default
>> > "application" and thus unsafe, see:
>> > Text Media Types
>> > https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6838#section-4.2.1
>>
>> I do not see any problem or any difference what MIME type you are going to
>> associate with Org mode. I agree with Arne that text/... type is more
>> appropriate for a format readable as text. I do not see any contradictions
>> with that RFC.
>
> You were the one speaking and reporting that Org executes Emacs Lisp.
>
> And now you imply that it is safe to open it because it is text? 👀
>
> If Org or any file implies possible execution when loaded, and Org
> implies it, it is not any more "text/*" MIME type.

Whether or not something *can* be executed is irrelevant for text/* vs.
application/*. Relevant is whether something *must* be executed for the
document to be usable.

> From:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6838#section-4.2.5
>
>> 4.2.5.  Application Media Types
>
>>    The "application" top-level type is to be used for discrete data that
>>    do not fit under any of the other type names, and particularly for
>>    data to be processed by some type of application program.  This is
>>    information that must be processed by an application before it is
>>    viewable or usable by a user.
>
> That is exactly the case with Org. Of course, one could minimize org
> file to empty string, and say this is Org file and there is no
> execution necessary, so it is "text".
>
> Otherwise information must be processed by application which is
> clearly the Org package before it is viewable or usable by a user.

#+title: I disagree

* Firstoff
because this is a valid org-structure.
* Second
because you can use this.

#+begin_src bash
echo "even the embedded source here"
#+end_src
* Test
If you could not read the two arguments
_without_ first processing this section with org-mode
then I am wrong. If so, please tell me /"could not read"/.
That said: If you tell me /"could not read"/ I know
that you *could* read this section, so you would be wrong.

* Conclusion
Org mode documents belong into text/*

>> Expected uses for the "application" type name include but are not
>> limited to file transfer, spreadsheets, presentations, scheduling
>> data, and languages for "active" (computational) material.
>
> ✔️ YES, we have spreadsheets in Org which results may be viewable only
> after computed.
application/* and text/* are not distinguished by their domain, but by
whether they are readable as plain text.

Same for your other points.

Best wishes,
Arne
--