Re: Error opening an .org file

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Error opening an .org file
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 20:25:26 +1100

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> Renato Pontefice writes:
>
>>         I’ve edited and commented all the lines of it. And The error
>>         persist. So (was you told)maybe the error is not of init.el
>>         But I’m unable to run emacs from termnal.
>>         How can I do?
>>         I’m in Mac osx 12.6.1 where do I can find emacs?
>
> Renato, I'm not a Mac user, but I imagine it will be like any other
> Unix: you have to launch a terminal from your desktop (i guess there
> will be in macos an app called "terminal" or something like that), and
> once inside the terminal, just type:
>
> emacs --debug-init
>
> and press enter. Emacs (GUI) will open and you should pay attention to
> the error messages that Emacs will show you. That will give you a clue
> as to where the error is in your Emacs startup.

It has been a while since I used macOS. However, how you start emacs in
a terminal depends on how emacs was installed and which version of
emacs.

Note that the emacs which macOS includes is VERY old (I think it is
Emacs 21). This is really too old to be useful these days. You need to
install a current version of Emacs. My recommendation would be to use
homebrew to do this. However, I fear, based on the questions ask, the
OPs familiarity of the OS is likely to make installing homebrew and then
emacs a bit challenging to do via email. Certainly would be off topic
for the org mode list. Possibly better help would be available via the
emacs help list. I would try to help further, but I don't have a working
macOS system at present, so cannot refresh/verify the steps to get
sufficient clarity to be helpful.