Re: Org 9.6-pre and Bash sessions

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Org 9.6-pre and Bash sessions
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 13:29:38 +0000

Rudolf Adamkovič <salutis@me.com> writes:

>>> 1. ob-shell/error-output-after-success
>>>
>>>    We seem to trash error output, such as warnings, on success.  I
>>>    think we should not do this.  Now, on the execution of "echo X
>>>    &>2", Org says "Code block produced no output."  But that does
>>>    hold true.  The block did produce output, just on the other output
>>>    stream, namely error output.
>
>> Trashing error output is expected by default. [...] I suggest you to
>> read through [...] ob-shell follows the spec here.
>
> I get that ':results output' makes Org capture standard output, but not
> error output, for its #+RESULTS.  However, if you look at the test in
> question, you will see that it expects error output in the *Org-Babel
> Error Output* buffer, not in the #+RESULTS.  We should not trash error
> output; it belongs in the *Org-Babel Error Output* buffer.

I do not think that it make sense to display that buffer when the code
finishes successfully. I can see this kind of behaviour breaking/spamming
automated scripts or export---code working in the past may throw error
output into unsuspecting users.

>>> 3. ob-shell/exit-codes
>>>
>>>    Should we add a newline after the exit code message?
>
>> Done.
>
> I updated the tests and now every string needs a final newline, which
> does not seem correct.  If we let the tests guide our design, all
> becomes clear.  Buffers that use the 'compilation-mode' never append
> data on re-execution.  Instead, they clear the buffer.
>
> Thus, we should
>
>   1. undo this change and instead
>   2. call 'org-babel-eval-wipe-error-buffer' before execution.

I do not think that it is a good idea.
Code block execution may involve a whole chain of blocks when expanding
references. If we wipe the error buffer and multiple blocks are failing,
some errors may go unnoticed by the user.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,