Re: [FR] Display stderr contents after executing shell blocks (even when

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [FR] Display stderr contents after executing shell blocks (even when stdout :results output is requested) (was: Org 9.6-pre and Bash sessions)
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 03:37:03 +0000

> I agree that stderr may be important. I would not mind to have a buffer
> that combines both stderr and stdout (maybe fontified). Despite order of
> messages in separate streams is not strictly defined, it still may shed
> some light on the reason what went wrong.

I am not sure about the right approach of mixing streams.
What we currently do is directing stderr to a separate file. See
`org-babel--shell-command-on-region' and `org-babel-eval'.

Also, note that our error display code is not only used by shell
scripts. Also, by other interpreted languages like python. And we use
compilation-mode, which provides reasonable fontification in many cases.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,