Re: org-fstree.el overview over directories (but no comments are possibl

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: org-fstree.el overview over directories (but no comments are possible)
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 13:56:01 +0000

Uwe Brauer writes:

> Well, since I tend to forget things, and it is very time consuming to
> open files and see what is the basic content, I thought of adding to
> each directory (with subdirectories if necessary) I find useful a
> README.org file, that contains a
>
>     1. Tree of the directory and
>
>     1. a short description of the content of each file
>
> I use bookmarks.el but that is an entirely different  workflow, since I
> there only save files that I find useful, but sometimes I stumble across
> a directory  I created  some time ago and don't recall the content of
> each file.

I see. It's not exactly what you're looking for, but I often use
filetags.el (https://github.com/DerBeutlin/filetags.el) which allows you
to add tags to files and directories in Dired. You can add multiple
tags, remove or update them. It's not a panacea, because the tags are
added directly to the file/directory name (as part of the name, I mean),
but in general it's enough for me when I want to have a file tagged in
some way. I can then locate this files by tag names using helm-locate.

Perhaps a kind of ''dired-org-view'' could be interesting, to display a
dired directory as an Org buffer, where you could add (persistent) TODO
states, notes and tags. Well, it's a sudden occurrence, I don't know to
what extent it is feasible, but in case someone feels inspired... :-)

You also have this package (haven't tried it):
https://github.com/Boruch-Baum/emacs-diredc Adds a lot of functionality
to Dired, including file preview.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel