Re: [off-topic] E-readers and Org-Mode

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: [off-topic] E-readers and Org-Mode
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 12:18:21 +0000

Max Nikulin writes:

> P.S. Concerning free PDF annotation tool, I have not tested if it is
> convenient and available on Android, but Firefox-106 release notes
> have the following entry:
>
>> It is now possible to edit PDFs: including writing text, drawing,
>   and adding signatures.
>
> Almost certainly "edit" in their parlance in namely annotations, not
> real changes of PDF structure.

Interesting, I'll take a look at it. I haven't used firefox as my
default browser in a while. On desktop and laptop I use a combination of
Eww and Qutebrowser, which is more keyboard oriented. I have Firefox
almost relegated to negotiations with the Spanish government, such as
taxes and little else. On mobile I use Brave browser. And lately I've
noticed that it's not as hard as I thought to navigate with Eww-mode in
Termux/Emacs by touch! :-)

BTW, I have found another free app to annotate PDF on Android, KOReader:
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.koreader.launcher.fdroid/ It is
mainly intended for e-ink screen e-readers. It's under active
development as well (https://github.com/koreader), and even offers
builds and tutorials for installing it on specific non-Android devices
(Kobo, reMarkable, etc.).

I have tried to make some annotations on a PDF to open it later on the
desktop pc. Annotations are correctly read by pdf-tools, Atril, Evince,
Okular, etc. And they are also exported correctly to Org via the
org-noter function org-noter-create-skeleton, which I didn't know about
and is tremendously useful.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel