Re: [BUG] ob-python: async session evaluation does not support python-mo

From: Jack Kamm
Subject: Re: [BUG] ob-python: async session evaluation does not support python-mode.el [9.6-pre (release_9.5.5-2661-g2d040b.dirty @ /home/yantar92/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)]
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2022 21:26:44 -0700

Hi Ihor,

> However, async evaluation fails when org-babel-python-mode is set to
> 'python-mode.

As a stopgap, perhaps Org could issue an error message that async is not
implemented for python-mode.el

I was actually planning to deprecate ob-python support for
python-mode.el, because I don't think it's worth the extra complexity &
burden to support 2 python modes. For users who prefer python-mode, I
think it would be better to have a separate ob-python-mode, perhaps in
org-contrib. There was a related discussion about this [1] a couple
years ago.

However, I never got around to deprecating python-mode support, as I
have been unable to work on ob-python for the last 1.5+ years due to
employment changes and subsequent copyright problems (my employer's
lawyers have some issues with the FSF's form, and I am waiting for the
FSF to review their proposed changes). I was hoping it would be resolved
by now, but it's still pending, and I should be removed as ob-python
maintainer since my hands are tied.

[1] https://list.orgmode.org/87d0a95eyz.fsf@bzg.fr/