[DISCUSSION] Should we deprecate python-mode.el (alternative to built-in

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: [DISCUSSION] Should we deprecate python-mode.el (alternative to built-in python.el) support in ob-python? (was: [BUG] ob-python: async session evaluation does not support python-mode.el [9.6-pre (release_9.5.5-2661-g2d040b.dirty @ /home/yantar92/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)])
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 07:08:19 +0000

Jack Kamm <jackkamm@gmail.com> writes:

> I was actually planning to deprecate ob-python support for
> python-mode.el, because I don't think it's worth the extra complexity &
> burden to support 2 python modes. For users who prefer python-mode, I
> think it would be better to have a separate ob-python-mode, perhaps in
> org-contrib. There was a related discussion about this [1] a couple
> years ago.
> [1] https://list.orgmode.org/87d0a95eyz.fsf@bzg.fr/

Dear All,

We are currently supporting two possible python REPL backends in
ob-python: `org-babel-python-mode' can be either 'python or 'python-mode
for built-in python.el and third-party python-mode.el, respectively.

However, supporting python-mode.el integration is difficult for Org
team: neither the current ob-python maintainer nor the rest of Org team
are familiar with python-mode.el.

The bug discussed above already shows that parts of ob-python do not
work properly with third-party python-mode.el.

Should we deprecate the support altogether and not bother with the extra
maintenance? Or maybe someone want to volunteer maintaining
python-mode.el integration?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,