Re: Single story around subtree export and footnotes, several issues

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Single story around subtree export and footnotes, several issues
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2022 04:09:44 +0000

Alain.Cochard@unistra.fr writes:

> - 1st issue
>
> I use 'emacs -Q'
>
>    GNU Emacs 27.2 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
>      3.24.30, cairo version 1.17.4) of 2021-08-07
>    Org mode version 9.4.4 (release_9.4.4 @ /usr/share/emacs/27.2/lisp/org/)
>
> and visit the file with 'C-x C-f'.
>
> I export the subtree with 'C-c C-e C-s l o' on the "subtree to be
> exported" headline and get the dreadful
>
>    Wrong type argument: consp, nil

Thanks for reporting and for the detailed reproducer!
Fixed on main.
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=3e010d81dcabafcdd97199b8122491a74ad9cbed

> - 4th issue
>
> I quit emacs, restart it with 'emacs -Q', do 'M-x
> toggle-debug-on-error', revisit the original file and export the
> subtree again.
>
> (I get a Backtrace which is about 21000 characters so I ommit it so
> far.)
>
> But the buffer is narrowed; I only see:
>
>    2nd call to footnote 1[fn:1]
>    call to footnote 2[fn:2]
>    [fn:2] footnote 2 body
>
> - 5th issue
>
> After widening it with 'C-x n w', I apparently see my original file,
> but if I do 'C-x s', and answer 'y' to the following question
> (debug3.org is the name of my file):
>
>    Save file /home/cochard/Org/debug3.org? (y, n, !, ., q, C-r, C-f, d or C-h)
>
> then, using for example 'cat debug3.org' from a terminal, I can see
> that the last two lines of the file, i.e.,
>
>    * COMMENT commented headline
>    nothing
>
> have disapeared.

This is because the error terminated export process in the middle of it.
Org export uses a temporary buffer copy during export. That buffer is cleaned
up to remove commented headings, and whatever parts of the original
buffer that should not be exported. When, exporting subtree, the buffer
may also be narrowed.

You should not know this when things do not err in the middle, which is
now fixed.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,