Re: Document management system with Org?

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: Document management system with Org?
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 19:52:03 -0700

hi max,

welcome to org.

org-roam has been suggested but i do not use it so i will not address
that and will leave it to others.

org is a good choice for this kind of thing, but it is not clear to me
how much of it needs to be built on top of existing to get what you
ask for.  emacs is good at doing that, however.  there are parts of
org that are basically made for it.

if you want to tag and then use agenda, that offers powerful features,
as does the category property.  one possible issue is remembering to
tag.  that is why i mostly don't use tags.  but there is regexp search
also.

the manual is good.  the agenda is sort of dired-like.  it sounds like
tags and catgegories might work for you.

if you read about hte org-id system, that might help you to make
unbreakable links should you need them.

attachments were made for storing files.  i don't use those because
they don't add much value for me; i just use plain links and i use
variables because file links in org run substitute-in-file-name  as
another possibility i haven't fully integrated, ** paths with glob
links might in priniciple help if files stay in the general area but
pathnames change.

but attachments might work for you.  they are actively used by many.
they more or less do what you are asking.

they are only for files, however.  if you ever need more than files, i
forsee a need for some kind of system for syncing with generic links
and external documnets and internal documents, something along hte
lines of spookfox perhaps.

but you seem to need only files.  so attachments or file links might
work for you with agenda and tags and categories.

the org forest is hierarchical, which an hlpe you put your data in the
same place.  if you need to break that system, links, tags, and
categories might help to keep your documents findable.  there are also
packges for transclusion.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com