Re: [OT] org and diff

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: [OT] org and diff
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 10:32:29 +0100

On 2022-11-13, at 06:15, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:

> But something drives me crazy.  Probably not too Org-related, but it
> might be.  I just want to know why, is all.
> [...] diff goes insane.

I think this is a known problem with diff, which is inherently
line-based and knows nothing about actual syntax of the underlying
language.

FWIW, if things like this happen to me (and they do happen a lot,
especially when I'm doing code review), I abandon diff and use
difftastic (https://difftastic.wilfred.me.uk/) instead.

Surprisingly, difftastic seems not to support Org syntax.

One question I'd ask is: how important a legible diff is to you?  I keep
my Org files in Git, too, but if /I/ know what was changed, I just don't
care about diff going nuts and I treat it as (more or less) Git's
internal implementation detail.

Just my 2cents (not too helpful, I'm afraid...)

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl