Re: Org and Multimedia..?

From: Mark Barton
Subject: Re: Org and Multimedia..?
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 11:58:39 -0800

> On Nov 30, 2022, at 11:35 AM, David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Is it possible to attach (say) an image to a task?
>
> I'd like to use images to help explain tasks better (or just remind me
> what my intention was).  I imagine you could do something with file
> links, but is there a defined method?  Issues:
>
> 1. Directory structure containing Org / Media files
> 2. Syncing images with Org files to other systems
> 3. In particular, syncing to smart phones (BeOrg, Orgzly, ...)
> 4. Any add-on packages that would help
>
> --
> David Masterson

I use a link in my tasks in Org mode that will open a DEVONthink object. Which
could be an image, pdf, email, or DEVONthink group related to my task. In my
case DEVONthink runs on my Mac and ios devices, so that link works from Emacs
org mode on the Mac as well as from BeOrg on ios.

DEVONthink is not free though. I used to use Omnifocus and it supported media
in the tasks, but that quickly presented a new problem with syncing such large
volumes of data. I also found that I needed that media as reference after the
task was done, so I would have to store it else where too. That is when I took
the advice and separated the tasks from the reference material from a storage
perspective and integrated them with links instead. When I migrated to Emacs
and Org mode, I used the same strategy of links.

Below is an example of such a link where I reference the email I sent to
Shannon that is associated with the task.

**** DONE Shared a copy of the Directory Inventory spreadsheet with Shannon.
CLOSED: [2022-11-30 Wed 11:53]
[[x-devonthink-item://%3C8403DA9F-CDFB-4A6F-9CC5-C33D88290E42%40disney.com%3E][directory
 inventory.eml]]

You might be able to do something similar with other software you have running
your devices that allows a single link to work on all the devices.

Mark