Re: Release 9.6

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Release 9.6
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2022 10:10:30 +1100

> On 29/11/2022 13:58, Bastien wrote:
>> Last but not least: thanks to Ihor his
>> truly amazing work and for being the de facto maintainer.
>
> I think, Ihor's role in this release is crucial. He spent a lot of time
> fixing bugs and
> reviewing patches, not to mention the org-fold framework to overcome
> performance
> limitation of overlays (the latter has been recently addressed in Emacs
> though).

I agree. The amount of time and effort Ihor has put into org mode is
both crucial and hugely appreciated.

One question I do have is with respect to the new folding code, the
changes in Emacs to improve overlay performance and the correct way
forward.

On one hand, it was an immense amount of work for Ihor to implement a
better performing solution and something I'm sure those with large org
files will appreciate. However, on the other hand, I guess it also puts
a greater burden from a maintenance perspective on org maintainers as
org is now using its own unique approach to hiding/showing content
(folding).

Has anyone done any comparisons between the new overlay implementation
in Emacs 29 and the new folding approach in org 9.6? Is there still
sufficient performance benefit with org's approach over using Emacs
overlays or do we need to seriously consider changing the default back
to native Emacs overlays?