Re: [BUG] Org-mode 9.6 parallel build issue [9.6 (N/A @ /usr/share/emacs

From: Maciej Barć
Subject: Re: [BUG] Org-mode 9.6 parallel build issue [9.6 (N/A @ /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-mode/)]
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 20:06:16 +0100

Hi Ihor!

Cannot reproduce.

I think this is more likely to happen to users who actually compile on boxes with very high CPU/thread count.
A common user with ~8 threads probably will not hit this issue
(I also could not reproduce this on my 4c/8t daily-driver).
Regardless if a common users is likely to hit those errors, they could indicate that there are some bugs in the Makefiles.

Could you please provide a more clear recipe to reproduce, if possible?

There are logs in the bug report on the Gentoo Bugzilla,
from the bug I had already mentioned:
https://884243.bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=839581
and from the one occurring with the documentation generation process:
https://884403.bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=840181

what exactly emake does differently

Not much, it is just a wrapper for make that adds the MAKEOPTS variable from the Portage configuration.
You can see the exact make command in the logs, that is:
- for bug 884243: make -j62 ORGVERSION=9.6 datadir=/usr/share/emacs/etc/org-mode
- and for 884403: make -j63 pdf card

Thanks for taking a look at it!