Multiple versions of Org in load-path problem

From: David Masterson
Subject: Multiple versions of Org in load-path problem
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2022 18:50:33 -0800

I'm using Debian v11.5 on my Chromebook.  I have used 'apt install' to
load the pre-built version of Emacs 27.1.  I've just found out that it
installs a pre-built version of Org-9.3 in /usr/share/emacs/27.1/lisp.
That directory is early in the load-path, so it appears to be loaded out
of startup.el(?).  Everything seems to be working fine in my setup of
Emacs and Org.

I'd like to upgrade to org-9.6 from ELPA via the package-install in
Emacs which installs it into ~/.emacs.d/elpa.  I have a lot of
use-package calls in my ,emacs to load everything, but it runs into
problems with the mixed Org environment -- 9.3 is loaded at startup and
9.6 is "sort of" loaded by use-package.  The errors I get are from some
calls to use-package to load packages and are 'org-assert-version'
errors (a few of the packages [AFAIK] have no relationship to Org [like
hypernole]).

Is there a proper way to do this?  Do I really have to delete the
built-in 9.3 version (by hand or package-delete?) or will that mess up
something else?  I saw mention of 'unload-feature' which is new to me --
would that be safe to use?

--
David Masterson