Re: [HELP] Translate/extend `org-clock-clocktable-language-setup' for Sp

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: [HELP] Translate/extend `org-clock-clocktable-language-setup' for Spanish/Dutch/more languages
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2022 18:12:54 +0700

On 04/12/2022 18:27, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Max Nikulin writes:

For some reason I believed that gettext was available in Emacs.

It would indeed be interesting to have a unified approach to bring
translations into Emacs. I'd discuss it on emacs-devel.

I found the following thread:

Eli Zaretskii to emacs-devel… Re: Internationalize Emacs's messages (swahili) Thu, 24 Dec 2020 16:16:24 +0200. mid:834kkbp9vr.fsf@gnu.org

They are easy enough to find: search the list archives for "gettext"
or "l10n", and you will find them.  The last one starts here:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2019-03/msg00081.html

A previous one starts here:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2017-04/msg00750.html

So a translations framework for Emacs is to be implemented. This particular thread is concentrated on 2 issues: - Attempt to not count all elements in list for performance reason. Unfortunately `ngettext' would not work for languages having more than "" and "s" forms. - "Fluent" would be better than gettext since it allows arbitrary categories, not just numbers, but someone should write its implementation in C. This part of discussion is mostly dedicated to the question if linking with a Rust library is acceptable.