Re: TBLFM trying to create an infinite number of lines

From: Bruno Barbier
Subject: Re: TBLFM trying to create an infinite number of lines
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2022 22:14:44 +0100

Julien Palard <julien@palard.fr> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I was playing with the idea of calling subprocesses from TBLFM (good idea or
> not)...
>
> ...and found that:
>
>     |  |
>     #+TBLFM: $1='(shell-command-to-string "echo 42")
>
> Tries to build an infinitly long table (I have to interrupt it with C-g).
> Is that a bug or did I misunderstood something?

Same here with 9.6-pre (release_9.5.5-1096-gf83e45).

Like with:

    |  |
    #+TBLFM: $1='(eval "\n")

IIUC, the command "echo 42" outputs a newline, newlines are not allowed
as in cell values.

So a workaround would be to trim the output:

    | 42 |
    #+TBLFM: $1='(string-trim (shell-command-to-string "echo 42"))

But, you should report it as a bug: org should raise an error, not enter
an infinite loop, generating an infinite amount of text.

Bruno