Re: Multiple versions of Org in load-path problem

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Multiple versions of Org in load-path problem
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2022 23:16:52 -0800

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Is there a proper way to do this?  Do I really have to delete the
>>> built-in 9.3 version (by hand or package-delete?) or will that mess up
>>> something else?  I saw mention of 'unload-feature' which is new to me --
>>> would that be safe to use?
>>
>> In theory, Emacs should handle such updates even when built-in Org is
>> loaded. See https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=59882
>
> I'm going to test if (in my case) the buit-in 9.3 is already loaded when
> my .emacs runs,  I also have to see when 9.6 loads in my .emacs.
>
>> unload-feature is the last resort. We are still discussing the available
>> options in https://orgmode.org/list/87k033h218.fsf@localhost.
>
> I have to play with the solution I suggested.  I'm beginning to wonder
> if it will cause other problems with (seeming) Org dependent packages.
> In my case, the error I get is from various use-package calls --
> something like "Error: org-assert-version is not known".  This is
> confusing because I've arranged my .emacs as (almost) an alphabetical
> from packages loaded before Org.  IOW, org-assert-version from 9.6
> shouldn't be loaded yet and 9.3 doesn't have org-assert-version. So
> what's referring to org-assert-version?

I went so far as to add the following to early-init.el:

(if (featurep 'org) (load-feature 'org))
(add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.6")
(load-library "org")

The load-library still fails with the org-assert-version error.

Could it be that, when you package-install Org-9.6, it runs through a
check where (I think) it compiles the package?  I get a lot of warnings
and 34(?) failed files.  Could it be that some of the files are not
built and, so, when I load-library, I'm picking up some of the wrong
files from the built-in Org-9.3?  Do we need to remove all versions of
Org that is not the current version from the load-path at the very
beginning of org.el to ensure no fall-through?  Kind of a hack, but...

--
David Masterson