Re: [BUG] ob-R.el: extra empty data.frame columns generated from plain l

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] ob-R.el: extra empty data.frame columns generated from plain lists after recent change [9.6 (release_9.6-3-ga4d38e @ /usr/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/org/)]
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 12:51:08 +0000

Greg Minshall <minshall@umich.edu> writes:

>> Does it make sense from the point of view of R code?
>> AFAIU, the current ob-R implementation converts lists into R tables,
>> which is not accurate? Would it make sense to convert Elisp lists into R
>> lists directly?
>
> my "barely half a cent" would be that backwards compatibility here
> trumps, hmm, "logic".  i suspect a note in the wiki page for ob-R
> stating that lists are converted to single-column tables would be
> sufficient.  (partly because i think people writing code need to refer
> to such pages to understand these sorts of mappings.)
>
> (one could make the case that "no one" passes lists to R code; that
> could push *me* towards your suggestion.)

Once upon a time, ob-core converted lists to actual lists. It is what is
reflected in the manual.

Later, the code was changed and lists were interpreted as lists of
lists.

Now, I reverted to the original behaviour.

The time span is years and I do not recall any related bug reports.
So, nobody seems to care.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,