Org functions in source blocks

From: William Denton
Subject: Org functions in source blocks
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2022 15:41:44 -0500 (EST)

I ran org-lookup-all in a source block, but it didn't give any output. I think I don't know something basic about Org or Lisp (likely both) and I hope someone can point out what's going on.

For example, I have this table, and I can count how many times x appears:

#+name: test_table
|   | A |
|---+---|
| ! | A |
|   | x |
|   |   |
|   | x |
|   | x |
|---+---|
| # | 3 |
#+TBLFM: $2='(length(org-lookup-all "x" '(@I..@II) nil))

I can do the count from another table, referring to a remote table:

#+name: summary
| A |
|---|
| 3 |
#+TBLFM: @2$1='(length(org-lookup-all "x" '(remote(test_table, @I$A..@II$A))
nil))

But running org-lookup-all on its own like this gives result nil, not something with some xs in it. Why not?

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :results raw
(org-lookup-all "x" '(remote(test_table, @I$A..@II$A)) nil)
#+end_src

Thanks,