Re: [MAINTENANCE] Do we have any backwards-compatibility policy for thir

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [MAINTENANCE] Do we have any backwards-compatibility policy for third-party packages?
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2022 10:20:02 +0000

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> - Adding a section regarding pubic/private API and naming conventions to
>   the Hacking section of the manual. This section could outline what the
>   processes are for adding/changing APIs.

I think we can add a section to Hacking.

But what should we list there?

At least,

1. prefix--suffix can change any time. prefix-suffix is stable
2. ORG-NEWS mention if we do important changes breaking (1)
3. If we decide to remove or change some function/variable, we first
   obsolete it.

What else?

> - Add the maintainers pledge to the manual as well. It is useful for
>   users to know what the maintainers pledge to try and do. I doubt many
>   users will find the page on worg which already exists. At the very
>   least, add a link to the wrog page.

Should we straight put
https://bzg.fr/en/the-software-maintainers-pledge/ after Installation
section of the manual? Maybe into a new section called "Updating Org"?

Bastien, what do you think?

> - Briefly document the org maintenance and release process or add links
>   to relevant worg pages. .

Also into Hacking, I think. As extra reference after API and
compatibility conventions.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,