Re: [BUG] org-cycle-max-level is broken, especially when using org-eleme

From: Alain . Cochard
Subject: Re: [BUG] org-cycle-max-level is broken, especially when using org-element-cache (was: Problem in org-inlinetask-min-level's docstring?)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 09:37:33 +0100

Ihor Radchenko writes on Tue 13 Dec 2022 07:36:
 > Alain.Cochard@unistra.fr writes:
 >
 > > NB: While experimenting, I noticed that, if I customize
 > > org-cycle-max-level to 0, then a <TAB> on a headline generates the
 > > cryptic "org-match-line: Invalid regexp: "Invalid content of
 > > \\{\\}"".
 >
 > Well. It does not really make much sense to set this variable to 0
 > or negative values.  I guess we can add a guard against such
 > scenarios.

Indeed, it does not make sense, but I realized it only when I fully
understood the behavior.

If one experiments, customizing several variables in row, it will take
time to identify the origin of the message.  Specifying in the
documentation of the Customize buffer (=customize docstring?) that the
value of this variables has to be greater than or equal to 1 will
certainly help; also having as the error message, instead of the
current one, would be even better (perhaps that is what you call a
"guard").

--
EOST (École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre)
ITE (Institut Terre & Environnement) | alain.cochard@unistra.fr