Re: How to disable completely org-persist

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: How to disable completely org-persist
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 13:02:31 +0000

> Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:
>
>> I too would like a means to disable org-persist. I don't doubt it may be
>> useful for those users with "large" org files with multiply src-blocks,
>> etc., etc., but, for me, I have not found any improvement in
>> performance. As remarked by the OP, the feature should not be
>> default-enabled.
>
> Note that org-persist is not only used to cache parser data for large
> files. For example, exported online images are also cached instead of
> being downloaded on every export. Other things may also be cached in
> future.

Upon further investigation, it looks like we need Org persist all the
time. As temporary storage, at least. In particular, downloading remote
images requires org-persist to store files somewhere. All the times.

> That being said, it should not be a big deal to allow disabling
> org-persist when desired. In fact, org-persist is already auto-disabled
> when using emacs -Q. I can add a user switch on top.

So, we cannot disable org-persist and should not even do it with Emacs
-Q. Instead, we may redirect org-persist-directory to /tmp in some
scenarios. I will look into doing this soon.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,