Re: [BUG] Documentation fix needed in "4.4 External Links" [9.6 ( @ /hom

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] Documentation fix needed in "4.4 External Links" [9.6 ( @ /home/dsmasterson/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.6/)]
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 17:10:38 +0000

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

>>> 2. If #1 depends on some org variable settings, can you mention what
>>> variables control the answer to #1?
>>
>> If you mean "can open", then see the next section.
>
> Ahh, maybe I am in the wrong section.  I think, what I want is
> org-open-at-point (which could be mentioned in 4.4), but it's
> documentation string just says the linked file will be opened by "an
> appropriate application".  I assume that that means some Elisp function
> is called that cross-references the file type with appropriate
> application.  And that I could add to or adjust the cross-reference list
> for new/modified file types.  It would be nice to mention that list
> variable so that I could trace the process further and determine what to
> do (like install the appropriate application).
>
> Does this help for what I'm looking for?

4.5 Handling Links
‘C-c C-o’ (‘org-open-at-point’)
     ... Furthermore, it visits text and
     remote files in ‘file’ links with Emacs and select a suitable
     application for local non-text files.  Classification of files is
     based on file extension only.  See option ‘org-file-apps’.  If you
     want to override the default application and visit the file with
     Emacs, use a ‘C-u’ prefix.  If you want to avoid opening in Emacs,
     use a ‘C-u C-u’ prefix.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,