Re: Does variable 'org-goto-interface' exist?

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Does variable 'org-goto-interface' exist?
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 07:55:21 +0000

> On 13/12/2022 18:43, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
>> +  Note: ~org-goto-*~ variables are only accessible when =org-goto=
>> +  library is loaded using ~require~ statement in the config or
>> +  auto-loaded by calling ~org-goto~ interactively.
>
> Perhaps it is better to introduce some more concise notation to specify
> the package where a custom option or variable is defined like
> ~org-goto-interface~ (=org-goto.el=).

I am not sure. This particular note is largely aiming at new users not
too familiar with Emacs system. Won't your suggestion be confusing?

For me ~org-goto-*~ should be naturally inside org-goto.el.

On the other hand, we may extend 1.5 Typesetting Conventions Used in
this Manual section of the manual describing what the proposed notation
refers to and then use it as needed.

Note, however, that org-goto is probably not the only place where we
refer to a customization that is not loaded by default. I am unsure how
many places like this exist and whether some presently auto-loaded
libraries will be still loaded in future as we try to make Org more
modular (and thus reduce the initial load time, many Emacs devs are
complaining about).

So, maintaining the proposed convention might not work well.

Or we may indicate the library with every variable we introduce from
that library for the first time + indicate that all the variables with
the same prefix will be from the same library.

WDYT?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,