Re: bug#59882: Multiple versions of Org in load-path problem

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: bug#59882: Multiple versions of Org in load-path problem
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 13:37:07 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> I am asking because org-mouse.el advises some functions and its loading
>> may cause unexpected consequences. See
>> 87r0x6sju1.fsf@fastmail.fm">https://orgmode.org/list/87r0x6sju1.fsf@fastmail.fm
>
> I think org-mouse.el should be fixed not to cause such effects just by

Yes, we plan to do exactly this
https://orgmode.org/list/87zgbqqukg.fsf@localhost
However, it will be a breaking backward-incompatible change. And we have
similar issues with several important Org components (ol-* and ob-*). In
particular, ob-*.el packages affect Org simply by defining function
symbols with specific name patters (by ob-core.el design).

Achieving no side effects is difficult in practice.

Also, note that side effects are not uncommon in Elisp packages.
Including, built-ins, like rect.el.
dired+ comes to mind among popular third-party packages.

>> At the same time, we have users complaining about some defcustoms not
>> being available without loading.
>> 25496.19258.682537.503614@gargle.gargle.HOWL">https://orgmode.org/list/25496.19258.682537.503614@gargle.gargle.HOWL
>
> That's too vague: it talks about "whether a variable exists", which is
> ambiguous.  That a variable is not boundp until its definition is
> loaded is perfectly expected, and I don't think defcustom changes that
> in any way (unless you autoload the defcustom, which is considered not
> the best style around here).
>
> So I guess some clarification is in order: what exactly was the
> problem with that variable being "nonexistent"?

Agree. See the quote below:
25497.41832.663858.836948@gargle.gargle.HOWL/">https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/25497.41832.663858.836948@gargle.gargle.HOWL/

    Like I said in another message that I sent just before receiving yours
    my conclusion came from the fact that hitting 'C-h v' with the cursor
    on 'org-goto-interface' provided nothing.  It was the first time this
    ever happened to me.  I did try to explicitly enter the variable's
    name by entering 'org-goto<TAB>', which (like 'org-go<TAB>') is not
    enough: it is completed to 'org--goto'.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,