Re: Failing to load, showing this 'Symbol's function definition is void:

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Failing to load, showing this 'Symbol's function definition is void: defvar-1'
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 12:24:49 +1100

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble09.plus.com> writes:

> I unfortunately upgraded this morning to emacs-30.0.50, and since then I
> can't get into my usual emacs of 29.0.50.
>
> When I'm loading emacs-29.0.50 from /usr/local/bin/ it is consistently
> failing to load
> saying "Symbol's function definition is void: defvar-1".
>
> My init.el is this -
> ====
> ;;; init.el --- sharon's config -*- eval: (read-only-mode 1) -*-
> ;; Make sure that Git version of Org mode is being loaded instead of the
> built-in version.
> (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name
> "/home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.5.5"))
> ;;;(add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name
> "/home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.6"))
> (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name
> "/home/boudiccas/git/org-contrib/lisp"))
>
> (require 'package)
> (setq package-enable-at-startup nil)
> (package-initialize)
>

> (require 'ob-tangle)
> (org-babel-load-file "/home/boudiccas/.emacs.d/config22-2.org")
> ====
>
> It seems to be baulking at the last 2 lines, can somebody help please?
>
> Thanks
>    Sharon.

Emacs 30.0.50 is the bleeding edge of the development tree. It will be
unstable by definition. The error you are getting looks like an internal
Emacs error unrelated to org mode.

I would wait a day or so and pull new sources and re-build to see if the
issue is fixed. If not, log a bug report.

If a working Emacs is critical to your activities, I would revert back
to 28.2 or maybe 29, which is in pre-release state, so a little more
stable than the bleeding edge dev code. Note that there is an Emacs 29
branch, so you can checkout emacs-29 to get the most recent release
candidate for Emacs 29.

In general, org mode won't attempt to fix issues introduced in the HEAD
soruces of Emacs as these sources tend to be in flux and issues will
often be resolved by other non-org specific changes. Issues at this
level tend to be a 'wait and see'.