Re: Bug? org-assert-version does not prevent mixed install

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Bug? org-assert-version does not prevent mixed install
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 13:04:03 +0000

> Is it possible to signal a fatal error during installing using emacs
> machinery to prevent broken user configuration? My expectation that
> result of failed compilation is ignored by emacs.
>
> It is possible to convert the error to a better one by checking if
> `org-assert-version' is bound in org.el.

We might do something like

(eval-and-compile (org-assert-version))

> I think, the following topics are more suitable for emacs bug tracker or
> devel mail list:
> - how to compile packages to avoid issues with already loaded older
> packages,
> - what changes are required in package management to roll back failed
> attempt of installing.

Since you have a recipe to reproduce, could you please post it to Emacs
debbugs? If we can clearly demonstrate the problem to Emacs devs, there
is more chance that they can fix it. Ideally, in the coming Emacs 29
release.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,