Re: Recommended way to work on main without upgrading Org?

From: Ruijie Yu
Subject: Re: Recommended way to work on main without upgrading Org?
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 21:51:21 -0600

Karthik Chikmagalur <karthikchikmagalur@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to work on the main branch of Org, with the intent of creating a
> patch.  However, I need to continue using Org 9.5 for everyday work in a
> separate Emacs session as I can't have things breaking.  Is there a
> recommended
> way to run two simultaneous instances of Emacs using two different Org
> versions?
>
> I use Straight to install Org 9.5.  I've cloned the latest main branch from
> Savannah to work on, but I'm not able to test my changes cleanly since there
> are
> two org versions in the mix -- technically three including the built-in
> version
> that's been shadowed.
>
> Karthik

I got curious and tried it myself.  References are the emacs manpage in
my system and this message in the mailing list
(https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2022-12/msg00520.html).

$ cd $(mktemp -d)
$ git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/org-mode.git
$ make -C org-mode
$ emacs -Q -L org-mode/lisp -l org --batch --eval "(call-interactively
#'org-version)"
Org mode version 9.6 (release_9.6-126-gf731d4 @
/tmp/tmp.1wPdM68xpD/org-mode/lisp/)

At the last step, if you remove everything after --batch, you will have
a clean-slate Emacs with nothing but org loaded.