Re: Expand macros in links

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Expand macros in links
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 16:20:03 +0000

Michael Dauer <mick.dauer@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm aware of this theoretical conflict. But I see the risk as very low
> compared to the value of not having to make a lot of customizations for
> export and internal link handling. It should just work out of the box.

Even low risk does not justify impossible-to-use links when such problem
occurs.

> If you deem necessary there would still be the possibility to define a
> global switch for this. This could then still have the 100% save default,
> while still being easy to "configure".

> If you want to go so far you could mitigate the risk of a conflict by
> "escaping" the macro brackets. {{{{{{not-a-macro}}}}}} would be treated as
> {{{not-a-marco}}} without expansion. Or any other escape sequence to bring
> the conflict probability to 0.0000001.

This is all indeed possible. The main question if whether it is
justified to introduce all these complexities given the provided
alternatives.

Basically, we need more votes in favour to consider such feature.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,