Re: How to disable completely org-persist

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: How to disable completely org-persist
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 06:06:27 +0000

Angelo Graziosi <angelo.g0@libero.it> writes:

>> Indeed, although I'm not yet convinced that org-persist directories wont
>> eventually start showing up in /tmp!
>
> I fear that sooner or later it will reappear somewhere..
>
> When it showed up few week ago, I found that setting and added it to the init
> file but that time it didn't solved the issue. That folder showed up even
> with that setting.. Instead now it seems to fix the issue hmm.. I wouldn't
> want it to be a Pyrrhic victory!

I may indeed reappear somewhere.
As I stated in my last message and the commits, we now have the
following:

1. For emacs -Q, the folder, if created, is removed upon closing Emacs
   It may still stay if you do something like kill -9 (I can't do much
   about this scenario).
   Note that this situation is rather unlikely scenario. You need to do
   something manually with emacs -Q.
2. For normal emacs usage, the folder is created only when it is needed
   If you set org-element-cache-persistent to nil, Org may still use
   org-persist for other purposes, like LaTeX previews or caching remote
   images during export.
3. As I suggested in my other message, if you don't like (2), set
   `org-persist-directory' to the location that does not bother you.

   Alternatively, you can use
   https://github.com/emacscollective/no-littering that will organize
   .emacs.d closer to XDG schema.

--