Re: How to disable completely org-persist

From: tomas
Subject: Re: How to disable completely org-persist
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 08:10:15 +0100

On Sat, Dec 31, 2022 at 02:29:43AM +0100, Angelo Graziosi wrote:

> >     > tomas wrote:
> >     >> there is now a defvar `org-element-cache-persistent'
> >
> >     > Ah! didn't knew that..
> >
> >     > Setting
> >
> >     > (setq org-element-cache-persistent nil)
> >
> >     > seems to work..
> >
> > Indeed, although I'm not yet convinced that org-persist directories wont
> > eventually start showing up in /tmp!
>
> I fear that sooner or later it will reappear somewhere..

Hm. I'm sure people are accepting patches?

Having persistence "centralised" in an org-persist facility
should make it easier for you (or me) to control what happens.

Otherwise, each exporter might be creating files everywhere.

Perhaps it would make sense to state the goals in more
detail. I can see many "aspects":

 - "I don't want my ~/.emacs.d/ littered beyond my explicit
   control"
 - "I don't have (nor want to have) XDG directories"
 - "I don't want things in /tmp" [1]
 - "I don't want my Emacs's session state to spill to
   persistent media"

What is it what you (or me, or anyone) wants to achieve?

Cheers

[1] Currently I see two directories in /tmp made by my emacs
   session: some `babel-...', which seems to be made at Org mode
   load (before any babel things are invoked), and `emacs1000'
   (I start Emacs as a server, so that's where the socket goes)