Re: Refactor org-babel-shell-initialize? (was Re: ob-shell intentions an

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Refactor org-babel-shell-initialize? (was Re: ob-shell intentions and paperwork (was Bash results broken?))
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2023 09:29:15 +0000

Matt <matt@excalamus.com> writes:
>  ---- On Sat, 31 Dec 2022 07:56:10 -0500  Ihor Radchenko  wrote ---
>  > As for being a macro, there will be not much gain - the convention is
>  > mostly designed for things like `cl-defun' aimed to be used in the code.
>  > `org-babel-shell-initialize' is only used by `org-babel-shell-names'.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "to be used in code".  Do you mean called
> within the global scope?

There are certain conventions about indentation of macros with "defun" in
them. They are automatically applied in emacs-lisp-mode.

Also, some heuristics for imenu looks for "defun" top-level forms, AFAIR.

In all these scenarios, it is assumed that "defun" macros are used in
the source code to define functions during compile time. Not on runtime.

> 1. The source is not explicit for a given `org-babel-execute:some-shell',
> making it difficult to debug
>
> The benefit of using a macro is clarity of the defined functions.  Here's the
> core `org-babel-shell-initialize' functionality as a macro.  Note that it
> doesn't loop through `org-babel-shell-names'.
> You can expand to see the definitions:
>
> (pp-macroexpand-expression '(define-babel-shell-1 "csh"))
>
> Is there a way to see the definition of`org-babel-execute:csh' using the
> current `org-babel-shell-initialize', that is, when generated by a function?

https://github.com/Wilfred/helpful displays the function code in such
scenario. Probably, I need to raise this problem on emacs-devel.

> Looking at the expansion, I see what appears to be an error:
>
> (alist-get "csh" org-babel-shell-set-prompt-commands)
>
> `org-babel-shell-set-prompt-commands' is an alist keyed by string shell names
> and whose values are shell commands to set the prompt.  `alist-get' uses `eq'
> by default which always returns nil for string comparisons.  That is,
> (alist-get "csh" org-babel-shell-set-prompt-commands) returns nil, not
> because the corresponding alist value is nil.  Rather, because the (eq "csh"
> "csh") comparison evaluates as nil.  The TESTFN probably should be `equal' or
> `string=':
>
> (alist-get "csh" org-babel-shell-set-prompt-commands nil nil 'equal)
>
> Then, it will return the prompt associated with "csh".

Good point. Would you mind making a patch?

> 2. Source navigation gets confused when looking up help for a generated
> function.  For example, `C-h f org-babel-execute:sh' goes to the top of
> ob-shell.el

This is indeed to be expected.

> Generating the execute functions with a macro also has this problem.  I'm not
> sure there's a way around it other than defining each function with `defun'.
> Doing that would be a bad idea because of the massive code
> duplication/maintenance it would create.

Yup.

> 3. It does not adhere to the coding convention.
>
> I'll requote the convention here for convenience.
>
>> (elisp) Coding Conventions says,
>>
>> "• Constructs that define a function or variable should be macros, not
>> functions, and their names should start with ‘define-’. The macro
>> should receive the name to be defined as the first argument. That
>> will help various tools find the definition automatically. Avoid
>> constructing the names in the macro itself, since that would
>> confuse these tools."
>
> It's not clear to me why the convention exists, beyond consistency (a valid
> reason).  I suspected it was to make the code clearer (points 1) and to "help
> various tools find the definition automatically" (point 2).
>
> I'm biased by my experience into thinking a macro actually addresses point 1.
>  I could be wrong about it, though. It could just have been luck and personal
> preference, and I may be overlooking some hidden complexity, a common problem
> with macros.  Is there anything you see that I might be overlooking?

Nothing substantial, AFAIK.

> AFAICT, a macro doesn't help with finding the definition of the generated
> function.  Any idea what tools it's talking about?

See above.

> Also, the way I defined `define-babel-shell-1' doesn't fit the convention.
> Something like this would:
>
> (defmacro define-babel-execute-shell-2 (name)
>   "Define functions and variables needed by Org Babel to execute a shell.
>
> NAME is a symbol of the form `org-babel-execute:my-shell'."
>   (declare (indent nil) (debug t))
>   (let ((shell-program (cadr (split-string (symbol-name name) ":"))))

Symbol argument will create awkward back-and-forth conversion between
string and a symbol here.

> 4. Except for using the customize interface, changing `org-babel-shell-names'
> requires reevaluating the function generator (`org-babel-shell-initialize' or
> some variant of `define-babel-shell-1' )
>
> A macro would not solve the need to re-evaluate the function generation when
> a change is made to `org-babel-shell-names'.  Either way, we need to loop/map
> over the list of shells.
>
> I'm curious your thoughts about removing the `:set' function from
> `org-babel-shell-names' and using `add-variable-watcher' instead.  In my
> explorations, the watcher gets called when using customize, as well as when a
> new shell is added to `org-babel-shell-names' using `add-to-list'.

I have never seen using variable watcher for this purpose.
I suggest asking on emacs-devel first to hear what they think of it.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,