Re: Intention of verbatim text?

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Intention of verbatim text?
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2023 19:25:42 +1100

<c.buhtz@posteo.jp> writes:

> My current solution is to convert ~code~ to <code>code</code> and
> =verbatim= to <code class="verbatim">verbatim</code>.
>
> In that case the user can decide himself how to render them. In my
> default CSS I would render the ~code~ in monospace with a light gray
> background (different from the whole page background) and =verbatim=
> with monospace only but without extra background color.

I think I would agree in an approach which leverages the power of CSS is
the best approach. My own personal preference would be to have as much
of the rendering/formatting of various elements managed by CSS classes
as possible as this would make it much easier for users to change how
things are rendered by modifying the CSS classes. Frameworks like Bulma
(https://bulma.io) show how powerful just using CSS can be. Much easier
to modify a CSS class than change a tag.