Re: Export Org with Org concept -- Re: Problems with C-c C-e file.org,

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Export Org with Org concept -- Re: Problems with C-c C-e file.org,
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 09:04:41 +0000

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

>> I was hoping that you might be interested to provide a patch for Org
>> upstream.
>
> Question is: did you try it out?
>
> Once you try it out, then let me know to continue.

I did try it. I am in favour of the non-blocking menu. Other people
participating in this discussion too.

As I said, the requirement to get it into the core is re-creating
previous layout and bindings. The layout and bindings may be
customizable, but they must be available.

> The Concept and More Ideas:
> ---------------------------
>
> 1. You can create derived mode, for example Org derived mode.

This has pros and cons. Org derived mode means that personal
customization, including key bindings and themes, may affect menus. This
may or may not be desired.

> 2. You can create key bindings freely for that derived mode.

+1

> 3. You can create read-only, temporary buffers for export in that
>    derived mode.

I am not sure what you are referring to.

> 4. Because it is read only, similar to modal modes, you do not need
>    complicated key bindings, you don't need to use C-combinations for
>    few simple things, use simply letter.

Same as what we do now in the menus. I do not think that we need to
change the existing bindings (by default).

> 5. Though it implies you can use same key bindings for
>    "compatibility", but I would say it rather honestly for bad habits,
>    as in the derived.

As I said earlier, "bad habits" is a judgment. We will not break user
experience if we don't have to. It includes existing bindings.

Introducing alternatives is possible though.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,