Re: LaTeX export for Org Mode Documents written in Indic Languages

From: tomas
Subject: Re: LaTeX export for Org Mode Documents written in Indic Languages
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 10:33:21 +0100

On Sat, Jan 07, 2023 at 12:41:39PM +0530, Krishna Jani wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have never had to write in languages other than English but an
> assignment just came up to transcribe the Indian Penal Code in
> simple and understandable Hindi. I have an Org file with some of my
> transcriptions (because of Emacs's awesome language support) but I am
> unable to org-export these files to pdf. I suppose I must install some
> latex packages, but I have not been able to find any documentation for
> the same. I dont really know latex, I mainly just use it for Org pdf
> export.
>
> Has anyone had a similar experience, or has a clue to this problem. Is
> there some documentation relating to languages that I can read

There are some approaches described here:

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/199773/how-to-type-hindi-words-in-latex

Since your input will be most probably already UTF-8 encoding, I
guess the most promising avenue these days is to go with LuaLaTeX.
It should work as a drop-in replacement for LaTeX "classic" and
should be included in your favourite TeX distribution.

I don't know off-the-bat what to do to make it work with Org
(I'm sure there are folks around here who do :), I'd first
export to LaTeX and fiddle with the preamble until I know what
to do.

Cheers