Re: [QUERY] Anyone using multiple org-preview-latex-process-alist comman

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [QUERY] Anyone using multiple org-preview-latex-process-alist commands?
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 13:30:16 -0500

Timothy <orgmode@tec.tecosaur.net> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> In my rewrite of the LaTeX preview system, I’m finding it a bit
> annoying dealing with the potential of multiple commands being used
> in the `org-preview-latex-process-alist'’s
> `:latex-compiler'/`:latex-precompiler'/`:image-converter'
> properties.
>
> I’m hence considering adding support for a string value, and
> deprecating support for multiple-command lists.
>
> Does anybody actually use multiple commands? If so, for what
> purpose?

I guess I misunderstood you: you are objecting to e.g. the
:latex-compiler value being a list, rather than a single string.

I think that was modeled after `org-latex-pdf-process' which is a list
of commands because LaTeX needed to be run multiple times in various
cases, so originally, this was a list of three invocations of LaTeX
("what I tell you three times is true"). With `latexmk' and similar,
that has thankfully become a thing of the past, so a single command is
enough, but making it not a list is probably going to break backward
compatibility.

OTOH, although I seem to have modified some details of
`org-preview-latex-process-alist', I have not added multiple commands
for any of the above. But it's conceivable that someone has - although
it's probably less likely than with `org-latex-pdf-process' - so you
may hear complaints in some distant future about it :-)

So assuming that I've understood you correctly this time, I have no
objection to simplifying (at least, I cannot think of any ATM).

--
Nick