[FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda

From: Daryl Manning
Subject: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 15:56:35 +0700

Following on from thread at https://www.reddit.com/r/orgmode/comments/zrppqw/

[First off, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that works on org-mode. It is a wonder.]

While I realize a few kicks at this can may have been taken, I wanted to (re-)propose Timezone support in org-mode. The world is much less local these days and we're all more remote and coordinating globally these days.

*Background*

1. org-time-stamp-formats TZ currently only affects display and exports
2. org-agenda itself is not TZ aware
3. Several discussions on this have taken place over time
4. Concerns raise included breaking backwards compatibility

*Proposal*

1. org-mode sets an optional variable (org-timezone-aware t) which enables TZ
2. org-agenda needs a way to determine which timezone it is in
3. Once enabled, any timestamp not exhibiting a TZ in it is considered "local time" wherever that is (I do not think UTC would work for this)
4. org-agenda can calc local based on TZ differences

I understand this is by no means trivial and quite gnarly with DST and such to figure out but I do believe libs exists to deal with that heavy lifting. Currently, it does feel like a hole in org-mode as a 21st century organizer (disclaimer: digital nomading so might feel it more keenly). Also, just interested in making org-mode a more awesome tool for everybody.

I'd love an understanding of the alluded to reservations raised in the reddit thread and in the mailing list threads mentioned that the format change might break things (I was unsure if that was referring to say, how time ranges were handled, or how say date ranges got dealt with (for example, say a flight from Singapore to Vancouver which takes off in one time zone and lands in another - something that is often in my cal.).

thanks!
Daryl.