[FR] Allow end date and max repeat count for timestamps with repeaters (

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: [FR] Allow end date and max repeat count for timestamps with repeaters (was: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 12:16:34 +0000

Russell Adams <RLAdams@adamsinfoserv.com> writes:

>> > I know they include better repeat information. Maybe we can
>> > build on that?
>>
>> Is it really better? Apart from sexps, diaries support cron-like
>> repeaters, but more limited.
>
> They have repeat with a end date or max iterations.

Good point. These two features are also frequently requested by users.
However, I do not see why we cannot implement them within the current
Org timestamp syntax:

1. <2023-01-14 Sat +1w>--<2024-01-14 Sun>
   can be treated as a repeater with end date.

2. <2023-01-14 Sat +1w/5x>
   can be treated as a repeater with limited number of iterations

The above are backwards-compatible with Org timestamp syntax.

Supporting these cases will require:
1. Updating syntax spec
2. Changing `org-auto-repeat-maybe' to decrease +1w/5x to +1w/4x upon
   updating the timestamp and not repeating when the limit has been
   reached.
3. Updating org-agenda to not display timestamps beyond the limit.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,