Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-ag

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Timezone support in org-mode datestamps and org-agenda
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 12:31:33 +0000

Russell Adams <RLAdams@adamsinfoserv.com> writes:

>> Calc's time zone calculations are hard coded. We should rather rely on
>> OS library primitives. They have better chances to get updated as
>> politics changes in some countries.
>
> I had no idea.
>
> Wouldn't Emacs be updated eventually if timezones change? Doesn't it
> use the tzdb?

Emacs uses time.h on Linux. If I understand correctly, time.h should use
tzdb or whatever is called in the particular GNU/Linux distribution.

> I'd rather see Org depend on built in Emacs functions than OS.

That's a question to Emacs developers. AFAIR, Emacs uses system
libraries for time zones because otherwise the maintenance would be
unbearable.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,