Re: Thoughts on this ob language generator

From: George Mauer
Subject: Re: Thoughts on this ob language generator
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 22:00:28 -0600

Thanks a lot Tim, I really appreciate you responding (as you said, it can be discouraging to not get any response)

For the record, I just tried this simple example and it works

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :results silent
  (create-ob-npx :name "ob-nbb"
                 :language "clojurescript"
                 :npx-arguments "nbb")
#+end_src

#+begin_src clojurescript
  (prn (+ 1 2 3))
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: 6

Never pushed anything to MELPA before but will have to take a look at how to do this.

On Sat, Jan 14, 2023 at 7:41 PM Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> wrote:
George Mauer <gmauer@gmail.com> writes:

> I had a need the other day to execute some typescript in an org document. Now I know that there's an
> ob-typescript package but that doesn't quite work the way I want and expects typescript to be installed
> globally (which runs into a variety of versioning issues).
>
> There is a better option available with the `npx` program (installed alongside `npm`) which can install a
> package along with its dependencies into a temporary sandbox and run its binaries.
>
> I rewrote the typescript babel plugin to do this and then realized that there was relatively little in it
> beyond variable and function names that was typescript-specific. The exact same process can be used for
> anything that has an interpreter up on npm. Coffeescript, mermaidjs, all sorts of things.
>
> So I made a macro. I'm interested what people here think: https://github.com/togakangaroo/create-ob-npx

This looks interesting and could have some great potential. As you say,
tehre is a growing class of languages which could be supported using
this method. I'm interested in trying out the nbb package (Clojurescript
on node) using this method, but right now, no time.

Really just wanted to give feedbac as I noticed nobody else responded
and didn't want to give the impression there was no interest.